Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Merchants (and Hotels) of Venice - July 11-17, 2016

Hmm,  now that I’ve been to Venice, I guess I’ll have to read or watch that Shakespeare’s play.

I loved Venice!  It is amazing.  I stayed at two different hotels while there and loved both of them for different reasons.  The first hotel, Hotel Concordia, was right in the heart of the action.  Literally outside the front of the hotel were numerous shops and restaurants.  I technically didn’t have to leave that tiny little area to get most of the things people want to do/see in Venice.  The back of the hotel is on Piazzo San Marco. 

Now, if you’ve been reading my other posts, you know how I like handrails.  So that was one area of issue that I had with the hotel.  The part on street level was essentially a very nice marble entryway with stairs up to the lobby.  If you have any reason you can’t climb stairs (aside from my wimpy-where’s-the-handrails attitude), then you might not want to stay here.  Once up in the lobby (0), there is a teeny tiny elevator that was even smaller than other elevators I’ve seen in Europe.  While technically it could fit two people, I think I only ever saw one person in it at a time.  I had gotten a great deal for a larger room on hotels.com.  I took the elevator up to the second floor (2) and then had to climb more stairs up to an attic-type area.  It was a large room with a seating area and a nice bathroom.  But, once again, if there were reasons I couldn’t climb stairs, it would have been impossible to get up there since it was stairs-elevator (or stairs)-and more stairs.  However …Location …Location …Location!  It was perfect for my personal goals there.  It also was easy to have some friends meet me there since it was in the heart of so much activity.  The best part of the location was early in the morning and later in the evening when the bulk of the tourists weren’t around.  It had a completely different feel as the merchants opened their shops before the first tour groups landed in the area.

My second hotel was a few bridges over and about half-way between Piazzo San Marco and the Rialto Bridge.  Hotel Ai Cavalieri di Venezia –on old 18th century palace converted in Feb 2015 to a hotel (if I understood them correctly.) It was in a quiet area but still close to the action to make it super convenient.  The hotel didn’t have its own restaurant but it did serve breakfast.  (It’s sister hotel was nearby with a restaurant but I didn’t check it out.)  It was probably a good thing that I had to leave the hotel to go find food because I don’t think I’d want to leave it otherwise.  I ended up in a junior suite that was on the first floor (or second floor for those from the US.)  It was gorgeous with an original fresco on the ceiling.  Seriously, I spent a lot of time staring at the ceiling.  The room was clean.  The furniture (looked like antiques or really good replicas) was beautiful and huge, and the bathroom was all marble but with an anti-slip mat that I had been longing for in the other three hotels I’d stayed in during my trip to Italy.  The hotel itself had some great options for boat tours, Murano glass tours, and even the fireworks display for a big event in Venice.  I was content to just see the neighborhood and stare at my ceiling.  ;) 

I ended up with more stuff than could fit in my bag so I decided to take a water taxi back to the train station.  It was a flat fee of 70Euros.  While it was a lot compared to a Vaporetto, I figured it was a chance to see different parts of the city than would be possible otherwise as we went through smaller canals.  I had to order it about 30 minutes in advance but he showed up about 20 minutes after the call.  (My hotel had its own water boarding area.)


Getting on and off the water taxi was not a problem since they seemed very used to accommodating tourists.  In fact the main problem was after I was on the dock that one of the other tourists trying to get to the water taxi and it was hard to get around her on the narrow dock.  Not the water taxi’s fault.  I’d recommend it if you have the ability to do so. 

No comments: